18.12.10

Home...

Well, once again I apologize for taking so long to post something. Several times I started but I never finished and then finals came and life got really busy, but now I have a 6 hour plane ride to write.

I really don't know where to start, so much has happened, in the past weeks and since I started my adventure of boarding school. I suppose I could start with today and work backwards..



So right now I'm on the plane, getting to this point was quite an adventure though.. I supposed to be up at about 4AM this morning to be driven to the Basel train station, well I hadn't really planned to, but I ended up pulling an all-nighter.. I know.. I know.. I should've gotten rested up for the trip, well I really didn't think I had to.. spending the whole night talking with 2 other guys was worth it. So at 4ish I'm all packed up and ready to go.. for some reason I also decided to wear a suit.. -for the last couple days I was wearing a suit to school for exams so I figured it might be cool to travel in a suit.. anyways, it turns out that all night it was snowing and pretty hard.. Before we went to the train station we picked up a girl from another dorm because she was going to the same train station at the same time, so we're driving and we come to this big hill and the van is barely making it up.. eventually we get stuck in the snow; So we get out of the van and start pushing it up this big hill, in the snow. I seriously never imagined that I would ever push a van up a hill for like 15 minutes while it's snowing, wearing a suit! It was one of those what am I doing..? moments. Fortunately our pushing paid off.. we made it to the train station. The girl gets on her train and we go to find my train, which we do, after getting a cup of coffee to supplement my breakfast of a banana. So I'm on the train I say goodbye to the RAs who were the "we" that were driving etc.. I'm on the train for a couple hours, from about 6 to 8, I dozed off a couple of times and when I awoke from my last nap I looked at the time on my mobile phone and to my horror I see that it's "8:40", I was supposed to change trains at 8:15!! I didn't panic but I was close to calling my dorm parents and telling them I slept through my train-switch.. I waited for a few minutes and we pull up to a station and it says that the time is actually "7:40", my phone never switched back from daylight savings so that was a huge relief, eventually I did get to the right station and make it on the right train going to Frankfurt Airport.. I get to the airport and find the Lufthansa baggage drop off counters. Well there's this looong line for the counters and it takes about half-hour to get to the official line, it's about 9:40, my plane starts boarding at 10ish and I get my bag checked in at about 10 till, I rushed across the terminals to the departures, find my gate and I'm almost there when... oh yeah.. security! The line for the security checks are longer than the one for the check in and it takes another 20ish minutes to get through there.. I'm half running/walking really fast to the gate and I get there about 15 minutes before it was going to take off.. but then because of all the snow we have to wait to get the wings defrosted, which takes another 20-30 minutes, but it's okay because I'm actually on the plane!

So yep. that was my exciting Friday travel day.. I can't wait to surprise my dad, he doesn't know I got my haircut and he has no idea I'm wearing a suit! It should be really fun. Well.. my battery's almost dead because I forgot to charge it, so I'll probably add more to this and post hopefully when I get home!
Well.. apparently I didn't look too different to him because he recognized me right as I walked out..

I'm home now!
Winter pictures soon..

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous19.12.10

    awesome -- glad to hear the (until now) unknown story... the prayers were actually needed, i guess!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bruce McDowell28.12.10

    Glad you made it! These experiences make you a seasoned traveler who knows how to plan and be prepared for the unexpected, but to wait upon the Lord to bring you through.

    ReplyDelete