20.8.10

Here today, gone tomorrow.

So today I started the real journey, right now I'm on a plane over the British Isles; its another hour or so till we reach Franfurt.. from there we'll rent a car and drive about two hours to Ludwigsburg, Germany where we'll be staying with some friends for a couple days, then we drive another two hours to Kandern, Germany -BFA. I found out what dorm i'll be in, it's called "Maugenhard". Unlike most of the other dorms, it's in the town/village of Kandern and it's about a kilometer (about half a mile) away from the school itself.

Todays plan is fly from Detroit to Frankfurt, drive 2 hours from Frankfurt to Ludwigsburg.

This plane ride (Detroit-Frankfurt) has been not bad, pretty empty so I get two seats to myself. The food was okay.. it was a lactose-free one which for some reason means it has to be healthy or something, the main course was a vegetable dish of some-sort, with rice and instead of a brownie I got fruit, no bread, just a rice cake..  I'm not against healthy food or anything, but the differences are interesting. The only sad part about this flight was saying goodbye to my Grandparents and my Sisters.

Breakfast is being served now, it's 6:46(AM) in Germany and 12:46(AM) in Canada. So far I've watched  "Mr. Fantastic Fox" and "Iron Man 2" I honestly don't know why I watched Iron Man 2 again.. Mr. Fantastic Fox was pretty good, exceptional as far as stop motion goes. The story was pretty good.. it reminded me of Chicken Run in some ways. Yippe yay.. it looks like breakfast is a vegetarian breakfast burrito/tortilla with a couple pieces of mellon and applesauce. What?! I get like 3 pieces of mellon and my Dad gets strawberries and kiwi?! How do they have milk in them? Haha -the wrapper on my burrito thing has three different "special meal things, VGML-Vegan Vegetarian Meal, VLML-Western Vegetarian Meal and NLML-Non Lactose Meal. Apparently western vegetarians aren't true vegetarians.

The other funny thing is, everyone addresses me in German.. like the guy was offering me coffee and then even when I replied in English, he asked if I wanted sugar or milk in German, same thing happened when we were in Switzerland. It'll be interesting when I get to Passport control because I'm entering Germany on my Swiss passport (because I can stay unlimitedly because even though Switzerland isn't in the EU, they allow Swiss citizens to have the same rights as an EU citizen) hopefully they won't question my Swissness because I don't speak German.
So I just had to show him my passport.. he said thank you, have a nice day and I just said "Danke" -thanks- back.

More, after the break:




I'm a huge John Grisham fan.. I love his legal thrillers, the other day I found one of his books that I hadn't read before- "The Street Lawyer". I think it was probably his best one.It's the story of a 30ish Lawyer working at a huge firm in DC, one day at work he and some of his co-workers get taken hostage by a man who forces them to go through their financial records and  see how little they gave away to people in need even though they were making close to millions. Turns out the hostage taker was a homeless Vietnam vet. The Lawyer then decides to quit his job to work as a "street lawyer"(someone who represents people who can't afford a lawyer. There is a bit of a thriller aspect to it, I don't want to give anything away, but the bottom line is: I thought that the story was really thought-provoking and a great book all-around and I would recommend it to everyone.

So after we get our bags, we arrive at the rental car place.. my Dad had originally reserved a sub-compact, which turned out to be a 2 door one, when the lady saw how many bags we had, she said we needed to upgrade; and apparently the next thing would be a 7 seater van, well after some discussion we got a 4 door compact, after shoving our bags into it there was just enough room for me in the backseat.

About two hours later and we're in Ludwigsburg, at our friends house where we'll be staying till Sunday morning, when we head off to the school in Kandern.
I'm fighting jet-lag with tetris right now, don't know how much longer I can last.. Guten-Tag/Guten-Nacht everyone.

1 comment: